Thursday, April 17, 2008

Kyle's Amazing "Project Fro-gro"

I've been having quite a few questions about my hair and, in order to not have to write individual replies to all the queries, I'll answer the question here.

Before we left Sydney, I sort of got inspired by the fact I had a year off work and it would be great to not cut my hair for a year and determine whether it would perpetually increase in size towards the heavens or if Newton would once again be proven correct and my hair would eventually (and hopefully) be subject to gravity and start to drop earthward.

I have included a selection of photos to try and show the various stages of how my hair is doing. This is also so that people will still recognise me when I get back to Australia and, considering the number of babies that seem to be on the way in our circle of friends, to help make sure that my friend's and family's young children would not be scared or stressed by my strange appearance.

So, to give this a bit of perspective, this is the control picture from our farewell. I had recently had a haircut and am seen posing with my fellow neat and short haired friends, Crooksy and Lachie.



Having been through our second wedding, and quite sure that the possibility of meeting any of her family was behind us, Steph gave the green light to project "Fro-gro".

The next picture is from Guatemala and this is what I would generally regard as the usual length where I would be pestering Steph to give me a haircut - "Number 2 all over, please!". But no longer will I pester - I'm going for "all over fuzzy", just like my Golden Retriever friend, Terry!



Stage 3 is from Patagonia, against the beautiful backdrop of Lake Nordenskold, which also gave some good contrast to fully appreciate my lengthening hair! A little kick up at the back had appeared and you can see that I'd also begun to start cultivating some sideburns - let's face it, a 'fro without sideburns is like a cake without icing...not finished and sort of funny looking.



After our Patagonia hike, certain aspects started to become apparent: if you look at the first photo, it seems like I'd definitely dropped a bit of weight. I can attribute this to a few things, smaller portions of food (note the size of the bowl of corn flakes), walking in Patagonia tends to drop a few pounds and, probably the biggest factor, the size of my hair takes away mass from my face. In other words, relatively bigger hair = relatively smaller face. All those women from America's South can't be wrong, that's why they can get away with eating all that fried food!

If only I could package this up and sell it in 11:00pm informercials like Jenny Craig!



Bolivia now and Project Fro-gro is in full swing! Another thing that has become apparent is that I seem to wear my favourite brown Kathmandu shirt a lot, I didn't even try to select photos with the same brown shirt, it just sort of happened that way.

After my friend, Sean O'Neill, saw this photo, he started addressing all correspondence to me either as "Miguel" or "Sanchez". Sort of appropriate as the touts in Morocco obviously got the same impression; they have all started speaking Spanish to me in the first instance...



And, to make sure that this report has some currency, I have included a photo that we only took last night in the main square in Marrakesh, Jamaa el-Fna. Fro is definitely progressing well; it takes a good couple of seconds standing under the shower before I actually feel any water and I can't actually tell if my sunglasses are on my head unless I try to find them.



I'll endeavour to write another post about Project Fro-gro later on in our trip, however you can also keep your own checks on it by following our blog!