Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Fro-gro 2 - The Afro Strikes Back

At the end of our "Morocco-Middle East-Turkey" leg, it's appropriate to give an update on the 'fro. So - how go the 'fro?

If you recall to the last Fro-gro report (check the archive box, under April, 2008 - "Kyle's Amazing Project Fro-gro") I was becoming quite satisfied with how the 'fro was doing - and it was coming along nicely by the time we had made landfall in Morocco.

You can see by the time we had reached Egypt, however, we were definitely getting to "an awkward stage".


Who said that it was just Tooheys Old that made your hair curly?

One of the more concerning things about the 'fro, is that the sides seem to grow faster than the top. I don't know if this is a male thing (have you ever seen a man with a receding hairline that started at the sides?) or if it's nature's way of making sure that hairdressers are never without a job, but what it does do is make the middle stage of growing a 'fro a bit embarrassing. How do you explain what's going on, other than you've had an urge to aspire towards a Krusty the Clown look - very un-aspirational!

Also, considering that my head has always been a bit "square", it does make my head even more box-like in appearance. Don't think that GQ will be featuring this "do" in the near future.

Another experiment was the "underwater 'fro" - fantastic that we had the underwater camera to catch a glimpse of this rare beast.



Again, you can observe a marked lengthening of the sides, as compared to the top, however the curl is a bit wavier as opposed to top-grade 'fro curl - to think that women spend so much on straightening when all they have to do is stay permanently underwater!

However, considering that staring at foreigners (infidels?) is a national pastime in the Middle East, I was a bit concerned that I felt like I was attracting almost as many stares as Steph. Could it be the 'fro? Are people wondering why any man would walk around sporting a Rubik's Cube haircut?

In a show of complete self-consciousness, I got a bit of inspiration from the head coverings around me and decided that covering my head may be the way to go. Here's a picture of the do-rag that I started sporting in Jordan:


The do-rag look - nice, neat and socially acceptable.

The simple do-rag is a discovery that all 'fro aspirants should be told about up-front, before they languish in months of embarrassment and strange looks in the supermarket aisles. However, the do-rag does have a caveat before being put into use. One needs access to a pair of clippers or scissors for trimming the sideburns - otherwise your do-rag ends up looking like an untidy bikini in Russia - which is just NOT a good look.

For those of you interested in wind-testing of the 'fro, here is a picture from the Bosphorous, just as it opens up to the Black Sea. Very windy place and the 'fro was in good form.


Bosphorous wind testing - wind speed Mach 0.65 (or thereabouts)

I have to say that the results of the wind testing were pretty favourable. Compared to normal straight hair, which ends up all over your face, in your mouth and in your eyes, the 'fro's wiry and coarse make-up, sort of like pig bristle, proved up to handling the fiercest of winds, even those that sweep down off the Siberian plains, across the cold Black Sea!

And for some contrast, the black 'fro against the white background of the travertines in Pamukkale shows the tight curls which my hair is now forming. I think that the Chinese half of my genetic makeup has definitely taking a back seat in deciding that my hair will grow into very tight curls.



The next photo is a rare highlight. Something Steph begs me to do from time to time and I usually flat out refuse, is "froof" my hair out to a full afro. When we were in Fethiye, I had enough beers to let her do it and the following is the result.


I don't think I'm pleased with the result...

I'm not sure if the froofed 'fro is exactly my style, however taking a year off is all about growing and changing and, let's face it, if there's one part of me that's taken this to heart, it's definitely been my hair-do!

That's this update for now, you can be assured that there will be a 'fro wrap up at the end of our journeys!